Commencement is a fun, but formal, event. We expect our graduates to dress accordingly. For your safety, please also wear appropriate shoes. Flip-flops, clogs, and extremely high-heeled shoes are strongly discouraged.
Rent your cap and gown
The deadline to rent caps and gowns is April 7, 2017.
If you miss the deadline, caps and gowns will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis at the Indiana Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday of Commencement weekend. A late fee of $15 will be included.
After Commencement or your school recognition event, you will return your used gown and your hood (if you rented one) in one of the deposit bins at the Convention Center exits. Your cap and tassel are yours to keep.Order apparel
Fairbanks School of Public Health
Herron School of Art and Design
Kelley School of Business
Lilly Family School of Philanthropy
McKinney School of Law
Medicine–Health Professions Programs
School of Dentistry
School of Education
School of Engineering and Technology
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
School of Informatics and Computing
School of Liberal Arts
School of Nursing
School of Physical Education and Tourism Management
School of Public and Environmental Affairs
School of Science
School of Social Work
University Graduate School (Ph.D. candidates only)
Doctoral hooding instructions
- During robing and lineup, you will receive one blank name card to fill out. Please fill out the card with your name. The announcer will use your card to introduce you during the ceremony. If you think the announcer might have difficulty pronouncing your name, please include phonetic spellings.
- When the chancellor calls your school forward, stand with your faculty mentor and follow the Commencement marshals to platforms in front of the stage. If you do not have a faculty mentor, you will be hooded by Commencement marshals. Only members of the IUPUI faculty may hood doctoral candidates.
- During the processional, drape your hood over your left arm and carry your name card in your right hand. You will climb several steps to the stage. Please contact us if you have any difficulty climbing stairs.
- When it is your turn, give your name card to the announcer and cross the stage. You will shake hands with the president, the chancellor, the dean of the University Graduate School, and the dean of the school in which you are completing your degree.
- When you leave the stage, you will be hooded by your mentor or by a faculty marshal
- For the hooding, please remove your cap and face away from your mentor or marshal, who will place the hood over your head.
- Once your hooding is complete, you and your mentor may return to your seats.
How do I get my honor cord?
Honor cords are distributed by the schools prior to Commencement. Some schools choose to distribute honor cords on Commencement Sunday, prior to the main ceremony. Check with your school’s recorder to learn where and when to pick up your honor cords.
Fourragères and medallions
Students who are graduating with Distinction, High Distinction, and Highest Distinction are entitled to wear fourragères: cream and crimson cords for IU graduates, black and gold for Purdue graduates. The fourragères are provided by the university as a gift to the student.
Students who are graduating with honors may wear gold medallions. The requirements for graduating with honors are different for each school, and honors are awarded by a vote of various faculty members.
Additionally, graduates who have been admitted to any of these nationally recognized honor societies may wear the appropriate cords.
Refunds: Full refunds for the cost of a cap, gown, and hood will be given only through Friday, May 12, 2017. However, sales tax and shipping fees are not refundable.
To request a refund, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your order confirmation number. You will receive a refund check at the address on your order form, unless you request otherwise. Please allow two to three weeks for processing.