IUPUI Commencement is a rain-or-shine event
Commencement takes place outdoors, which means plenty of fresh air.
- The weather in May can be unpredictable in central Indiana, so check the forecast in advance and know what to wear or bring.
- Free IU ponchos will be provided to graduates and guests to keep you dry.
- Remember: umbrellas are not allowed to ensure that every guest is comfortable and has a good view of the ceremony.
- Lightning will result in the immediate suspension of the ceremony and everyone will be directed indoors to nearby campus buildings such as the Campus Center, Natatorium, and academic buildings.
- Severe weather may cause a delay in the ceremony start time or postponement to Sunday, May 14. Check this website and social media channels for details.
In the rare event a tornado warning is issued, sirens will activate and you should follow the direction of IUPD and proceed to the nearest building's tornado shelter. Do not try to reunite with guests right away and proceed to your nearest safe location.