Commencement is a fun, but formal, event. We expect our graduates to dress accordingly. For your safety, please also wear appropriate shoes. Flip-flops, clogs, and extremely high-heeled shoes are strongly discouraged.
Rent your cap and gown
The deadline for orders has passed.
For late orders, stop by Barnes and Noble at the Campus Center April 30 through noon on May 11. Limited apparel will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, and a $75 late rental fee will be charged.Barnes and Noble
Tassels and hoods
Candidates for degrees wear tassels in colors that indicate the schools from which they are graduating. In addition, master’s and doctoral students wear hoods in colors that match their tassels. Those who have not yet received a degree wear their tassels on the right of their caps, moving them to the left upon the conferral of their degrees.
Tassel and hood colors by school
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
Informatics and Computing
Physical Education and Tourism Management
Public and Environmental Affairs
Stole of Gratitude
All undergraduate students receive a stole of gratitude to wear during Commencement. Graduates may keep their Stoles of Gratitude as a memento of the day, or present them as a token of thanks to anyone who guided them on their path to graduation.
Doctoral hooding instructions
- During robing and lineup, you will receive one blank name card to fill out. Please fill out the card with your name. The announcer will use your card to introduce you during the ceremony. If you think the announcer might have difficulty pronouncing your name, please include phonetic spellings.
- When the chancellor calls your school forward, stand with your faculty mentor and follow the Commencement marshals to platforms in front of the stage. If you do not have a faculty mentor, you will be hooded by Commencement marshals. Only members of the IUPUI faculty may hood doctoral candidates.
- During the processional, drape your hood over your left arm and carry your name card in your right hand. You will climb several steps to the stage. Please contact us if you have any difficulty climbing stairs.
- When it is your turn, give your name card to the announcer and cross the stage. You will shake hands with the president, the chancellor, the dean of the University Graduate School, and the dean of the school in which you are completing your degree.
- When you leave the stage, you will be hooded by your mentor or by a faculty marshal.
- For the hooding, please remove your cap and face away from your mentor or marshal, who will place the hood over your head.
- Once your hooding is complete, you and your mentor may return to your seats.
How do I get my honor cord?
Honor cords are distributed by the schools prior to IUPUI Commencement. Check with your school contact(s) to learn where and when to pick up your honor cords.
Fourragères and medallions
Students who are graduating with Distinction, High Distinction, and Highest Distinction are entitled to wear fourragères: cream and crimson cords for IU graduates, black and gold for Purdue graduates. The fourragères are provided by the university as a gift to the student.
Students who are graduating with honors may wear gold medallions. The requirements for graduating with honors are different for each school, and honors are awarded by a vote of various faculty members.
Additionally, graduates who have been admitted to any of these nationally recognized honor societies may wear the appropriate cords.
Refunds: To request a refund, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, order confirmation number, contact phone number, and an email address. You will receive a refund check at the address you provided on your order form, unless you request otherwise. Please allow four weeks for processing.